No animal should be forced to endure suffering, neglect and abuse at human hands or for trivial purposes. The law is our most powerful tool to improve the status of animals in Canada, hold abusers accountable for unlawful conduct, and work towards a society in which all animals live free from suffering.
Please sign and share the Animal Charter of Rights and Freedoms to show elected officials that Canadians expect better for all animals. With your support, Animal Justice Canada Legislative Fund can work to enshrine these rights into law.
ANIMAL CHARTER OF RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS
Whereas non-human animals experience both suffering and pleasure in the same way that humans do;
Whereas discrimination on the basis of arbitrary characteristics, such as species, is a violation of equity, natural justice and the rule of law;
Whereas our legal system must not exclude the most vulnerable members of society;
“Animals” means sentient, non-human animals.
1. Animals have the right to have their interests represented in court.
2. Animals are persons under the law.
3. Animals have the right to be free from pain, injury or disease.
4. Animals have the right to be free from abuse and neglect.
5. Animals have the right to be free from fear, and emotional and psychological distress.
6. Animals under human care have the right to adequate, species-appropriate food and water.
7. Animals under human care have the right to safe, clean, and comfortable shelter.
8. Animals living in the wild have the right to enjoy a clean and ecologically sound natural habitat, free from human intervention or exploitation.
9. Animals have the right to socialize with friends and family in a manner that is appropriate for their species.
10. Animals have the right to engage in normal and natural behaviours.
Please Sign the petition here: http://www.animaljustice.ca/charter/